Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Repository Create Pattern

I'm working on creating a new object creation pattern. This new pattern is an elegant solution that fits within the Repository pattern described in Domain Driven Development by Eric Evans. I'm trying to ensure the following constraints in my application,


  • Objects are valid at all times

  • An Entity object without an identifier (db key) is invalid

  • Don't want to have to use GUIDs as identifiers

  • Objects that cannot be saved (because of their state) are invalid


Essentially, if an object exists I must be able to save it without getting constraint errors from the database.


Introducing 'Repository Create'


The Repository Create pattern works a lot like the factory patterns. You create objects through the repository. 'Entity' objects (objects that must be persisted) must all be created by a repository. That repository ensures uniqueness of business keys (if there are any) and applies an id to the new object. Any errors creating this new object and 'no object for you!'. The application never has partially formed, or duplicate objects floating around.


What about updates? Model objects should not permit updating of their keys. Simple. But what if I modify a property and thus make it a duplicate? You shouldn't be able to do this. Properties that are part of the uniqueness constraint must be modified through the repository, by a repository Update method.

An Example


Let's say I'm writing a project management application and I have a 'Project' object. The Project object must have a unique name so users can identify it, but that name can change too.


I simply create my project objects by calling 'create' and passing the project name to my project repository.

Project p = projectRepository.Create("Project 1");
If the name Project 1 is a duplicate I get an exception from the repository. If not, I get a new Project object, with a valid database Id and I am assured the name is not duplicated. Updating the name would look something like this
pRep.Update(p, "Project One");
Access to the project name has to be restricted either by using the C# internal keyword or Interface casting* (*A slippery way to implement 'friends' in C#).


This is the Repository Create pattern in a nutshell. It seems to be working fairly well so far, of course my requirements have also been fairly simple and I haven't had to do much optimization. More to come on this pattern...

No comments:

Post a Comment